YHWH PIERCED = JESUS PIERCED

Towerwatchman

Jesus pierced, YHWH pierced.

The following was recorded by the Apostle John. At the crucifixion, Jesus was pierced through the side with a spear. John identifies this as fulfilled prophecy, by quoting from the prophet Zachariah.

Jn 19:34 But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. 35 And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe. 36 For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, “Not one of His bones shall be broken.” 37 And again another Scripture says, “They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”

John is quoting Zech 12:10

Zec 12:10 “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.

Who is “Me” in the text? [First person singular]. Vs 1 identifies who is speaking, ‘Thus says the Lord “YHWH”.

Zec12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD against Israel. Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth and forms the spirit of man within him:

Rev 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.

In the OT it is YHWH who states He will be pierced. In the NT John identifies Jesus as the one who is pierced and ties Jesus back to Zechariah.

By doing this John is stating that Jesus is YHWH.

God Bless
TWM

Jesus pierced, YHWH pierced.

The following was recorded by the Apostle John. At the crucifixion, Jesus was pierced through the side with a spear. John identifies this as fulfilled prophecy, by quoting from the prophet Zachariah.

Jn 19:34 But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. 35 And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe. 36 For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, “Not one of His bones shall be broken.” 37 And again another Scripture says, “They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”

John is quoting Zech 12:10

Zec 12:10 “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.

Who is “Me” in the text? [First person singular]. Vs 1 identifies who is speaking, ‘Thus says the Lord “YHWH”.

Zec12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD against Israel. Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth and forms the spirit of man within him:

Rev 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.

In the OT it is YHWH who states He will be pierced. In the NT John identifies Jesus as the one who is pierced and ties Jesus back to Zechariah.

God Bless
TWM
There was a prophecy given to Mary by Simeon that she also would be pierced in her soul by her sons death, so even if the prophecy in Zechariah 12:10 is referring to Yahweh, it can also mean that God was pierced by the sins of men to have had to allow his Son to be pierced to pay for their sins.

Luke 2: 35 so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

There are different ways in which one can be pierced, for certainly God having to give his Son's life up for the sins of men pierced his soul also with grief just like it did with Mary likewise and therefore your argument on this is weak.

There was a prophecy given to Mary by Simeon that she also would be pierced in her soul by her sons death, so even if the prophecy in Zechariah 12:10 is referring to Yahweh, it can also mean that God was pierced by the sins of men to have had to allow his Son to be pierced to pay for their sins.

Luke 2: 35 so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”
The fallacy of false analogy = just because the issues at hand are alike in trivial ways it does not make it relevant to the conclusion.

Your theory fails to address the fact that John [under the inspiration of the HS] is stating that the prophecy found in Zec 12:10 was fulfilled. There is no reference to Luke 2:35

There are different ways in which one can be pierced, for certainly God having to give his Son's life up for the sins of men pierced his soul also with grief just like it did with Mary likewise and therefore your argument on this is weak.
Your personal subjective conclusion, absent of anything objective = John 19:37 And again another Scripture says, “They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”

I totally agree !!!

There are three basic views promoted on this forum...

A) Jesus IS YHWH.
B) Jesus is NOT YHWH.
C) Jesus is ONE OF THREE called YHWH.

I believe A.

Just to clarify your view...

1) WHO says “I” in this text?

2) WHO is “Me” in this text?

I believe YHWH is only one WHO, so I would answer YHWH to both questions.

The fallacy of false analogy = just because the issues at hand are alike in trivial ways it does not make it relevant to the conclusion.

Your theory fails to address the fact that John [under the inspiration of the HS] is stating that the prophecy found in Zec 12:10 was fulfilled. There is no reference to Luke 2:35

Your personal subjective conclusion, absent of anything objective = John 19:37 And again another Scripture says, “They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”
LOL, it was fulfilled in part, for the Father was pierced in his soul when he had to allow his son to be pierced unto death by the Jews because of the sins of all men and especially his own people.

By the way, them who pierced him is does not refer to only the Jews but all human beings because we have all sinned and pierced God's soul with grief because of it.

Last edited:

By the way, while you are back at the trinity forum, you should read my newest thread which also reveals how while trins boast of using good exegesis with the scriptures, they come way short of really accomplishing it because their bias blinds their eyes to the true contexts.

Here is the link https://forums.carm.org/threads/the...at-trins-are-in-error-about-1-john-5-20.9388/

I totally agree !!!

There are three basic views promoted on this forum...

A) Jesus IS YHWH.
B) Jesus is NOT YHWH.
C) Jesus is ONE OF THREE called YHWH.

I believe A.

Just to clarify your view...

1) WHO says “I” in this text?

2) WHO is “Me” in this text?

I believe YHWH is only one WHO, so I would answer YHWH to both questions.
It's an established fact that the person who is speaking in Zec 12:10 is YHWH.
'
How?

Who is “Me” in vs 10? [First person singular]. = Vs 1 identifies who is speaking, ‘Thus says the Lord “YHWH”.

In vs 1 "Lord" translates from "YHWH". Thus unequivocally identifying the Person who is pierced as YHWH.

LOL, it was fulfilled in part, for the Father was pierced in his soul when he had to allow his son to be pierced unto death by the Jews because of the sins of all men and especially his own people.

By the way, them who pierced him is does not refer to only the Jews but all human beings because we have all sinned and pierced God's soul with grief because of it.
All could be true but does not support or deny what John is communicating= That Jesus being pierced fulfills the prophecy found in Zech. = Jesus is YHWH.

Your attempt is to shift focus from what John literally wrote; to a highly contrived, figurative explanation, which in turn drags the topic into ambiguity where the topic at hand can be interpreted in many ways.
By the way, while you are back at the trinity forum, you should read my newest thread which also reveals how while trins boast of using good exegesis with the scriptures, they come way short of really accomplishing it because their bias blinds their eyes to the true contexts.

Here is the link https://forums.carm.org/threads/the...at-trins-are-in-error-about-1-john-5-20.9388/
Let's stick to the topic at hand.

All could be true but does not support or deny what John is communicating= That Jesus being pierced fulfills the prophecy found in Zech. = Jesus is YHWH.

Your attempt is to shift focus from what John literally wrote; to a highly contrived, figurative explanation, which in turn drags the topic into ambiguity where the topic at hand can be interpreted in many ways.

Nope, read the parable of the Vineyard and the Tenants once again, who was the real offense to when the Jews killed the prophets and then finally the Vineyard owners Son?

Man every day is piercing God with their sins and because of this God sent his Only Begotten Son to punish their sin in his Son so that he didn't have to punish them.

Your problem is that you are of the flesh and not of the Spirit and therefore you see things only through the eyes of the flesh as though you were studying a secular physics book or some such thing and therefore you need to be reminded of the fact that the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.

'
How?

Who is “Me” in vs 10? [First person singular]. = Vs 1 identifies who is speaking, ‘Thus says the Lord “YHWH”.

In vs 1 "Lord" translates from "YHWH". Thus unequivocally identifying the Person who is pierced as YHWH.

I have no problem with the fact that Yahweh is speaking, but only with your idea that he is speaking for himself as the one who was pierced, for again, the reason why Jesus subjected to the Piercing of the cross was because we have all pierced God with our sins and therefore he had to allow his Son to be pierced to make atonement for our sins.

Again, it is also debatable whether or not your favored translations are even correct on this passage.

Zechariah 12:10​

English Standard Version​

Him Whom They Have Pierced​

10 “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.

Zechariah 12:10

New American Bible (Revised Edition)

10 I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of mercy and supplication, so that when they look on him whom they have thrust through,[a] they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and they will grieve for him as one grieves over a firstborn.

You are therefore wanting to force this passage to be viewed by your own fleshy bias to start with.

Last edited:

I totally agree !!!

Whereas Trinitarians say YHWH is NOT a (one) person.

The Trinitarian Catholic Catechism says...

The Church uses (I) the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity, (II) the term "person" or "hypostasis" to designate the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the real distinction among them...

So WHO do you believe was speaking in Zec 12:10?

I believe YHWH is ONE WHO, so YHWH was speaking.

Last edited:
I totally agree !!!

The Church uses (I) the term "substance" (rendered also at times by "essence" or "nature") to designate the divine being in its unity, (II) the term "person" or "hypostasis" to designate the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the real distinction among them...

Yes, YHWH The Son.

Yes, YHWH The Son.

So you believe Zechariah 12:10 means...

And YHWH The Son will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Correct?

I totally agree !!!

First, let's define the Trinity.

Monotheism = there is only one true God.

*There are three divine persons called “God” in the Bible.
*Within the one being that is God there exist eternally three coequal and coeternal persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
+“Person” refers to the center of consciousness and includes the idea of mind, will and desire.
+Just as I am a being with one center of self-consciousness, who I call “I”, God is a being with three centers of self-consciousness each of which can say “I”.
1. I am the Father.
2. I am the Son.
3. I am the Holy Spirit.
=Each has a first-person perspective.

*They are three distinct persons.
+The Father is not identical to the Son or the Holy Spirit.
+The Son is not identical to the Father or the Holy Spirit
+The Holy Spirit is not identical to the Son or to the Father.
=They are not independent of each other they still belong to the same being.

*Since each is divine they share the attributes of deity.
+God is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
+The Father is God and not the Son or the Holy Spirit.
+The Son is God but not the Father or Holy Spirit.
+The Holy Spirit is God but not the Father or Son.

Does the Father ever speak?

Jesus states that no one has seen or heard The Father.

Jn 6:46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father.

Jn 5:37 And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nnor seen His form.

Did the HS ever speak in the OT?
Luke writes in Acts that it was the HS that spoke to Isaiah.
Acts 28:25 The Holy Spirit was right in saying to your fathers through Isaiah the prophet: 26 "Go to this people, and say, You shall indeed hear but never understand, and you shall indeed see but never perceive. 27 For this people's heart has grown dull, and their ears are heavy of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest they should perceive with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and turn for me to heal them.'

If no one has seen or heard the Father or seen the HS who ate dinner and conversed with Abraham?
Genesis chapter 18 Note vs 1,13,17,22 and 33 “Lord” translates from “YHWH”. According to Moses YHWH appeared, ate, drank, and conversed with Abraham by the terebinth trees of Mam’re. Who was it? Since reason will not dictate that the immutable essence of the Father be changed into human form, or that Moses would create such a story under the inspiration of God, who else could be described as appearing in human form but Jesus identified as YHWH.

Now to Zec 12:10 we can narrow it down to either Jesus or the HS speaking as YHWH. Regardless Zec identifies the speaker as YHWH.

So you believe Zechariah 12:10 means...

And YHWH The Son will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Correct?
YEP!

Nope, read the parable of the Vineyard and the Tenants once again, who was the real offense to when the Jews killed the prophets and then finally the Vineyard owners Son?

Man every day is piercing God with their sins and because of this God sent his Only Begotten Son to punish their sin in his Son so that he didn't have to punish them.
Red Herring: Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument.

Your problem is that you are of the flesh and not of the Spirit and therefore you see things only through the eyes of the flesh as though you were studying a secular physics book or some such thing and therefore you need to be reminded of the fact that the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.
Now you claim omniscience? How do you know that I am not of the Spirit?
I have no problem with the fact that Yahweh is speaking, but only with your idea that he is speaking for himself as the one who was pierced, for again, the reason why Jesus subjected to the Piercing of the cross was because we have all pierced God with our sins and therefore he had to allow his Son to be pierced to make atonement for our sins.
Total nonsense. Atonement was the result of Jesus' death, not that He was pierced. If the piercing was the requirement, why did Jesus repeatedly speak of His death? Note we have no Gospel recording of Jesus speaking of being pierced.

Does the text read?

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be pierced, and after three days rise again.

1 Corinthians 15:3For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ was pierced for our sins according to the Scriptures,

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also was pierced or sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been pierced to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

1 Thessalonians 5:10 who was pierced for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one is pierced for his friends.

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ was pierced for us.

Red Herring: Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument.
You trins and your red herring belly aching. "Now you claim omniscience? How do you know" "that I am deliberately diverting your attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument"?

I firmly believe everything I am telling you about Zechariah 12:10, for the Father was also pierced in his soul by the death of his Son for our sins and just like Mary was also and I not only believe this but know it to be a fact also.
Now you claim omniscience? How do you know that I am not of the Spirit?

Read your Bible, for Jesus said that I would know false prophets with their sheep's clothing of phony works by their fruit and if you read the contexts in the synoptics and compare all of what he said in them about a tree being known by its fruit, you will see that Jesus was tying this all together to what is revealed in the false prophets words.

For his words don't line up with the truth of the scriptures and when Jesus said "you will know them by their fruit" he was speaking this only to those who would have the Spirit's discernment to know the difference between the truth of God's word and that which is in error like what you teach and believe.

Read your Bible, it is called Holy Spirit discernment just like what Jesus and Peter and Paul and all of the genuine disciples had.
Total nonsense. Atonement was the result of Jesus' death, not that He was pierced. If the piercing was the requirement, why did Jesus repeatedly speak of His death? Note we have no Gospel recording of Jesus speaking of being pierced.

Does the text read?

Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be pierced, and after three days rise again.

1 Corinthians 15:3For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ was pierced for our sins according to the Scriptures,

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also was pierced or sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been pierced to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

1 Thessalonians 5:10 who was pierced for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that one is pierced for his friends.

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ was pierced for us.

I am not going to keep arguing with you about this, for it really makes no difference to me that you believe what you do or not, but the fact remains that Jesus would not have been sent by God to be pierced in the first place if our sin didn't need to be atoned for and when God had to let his Son be pierced for our sins, you better believe his soul was also pierced because of it just like it was for Mary also.

By the way, your avatar fits you well, a figure in black holding up a dim light and it reminds me well of what Paul warned of in 2 Corinthians 11, that Satan's ministers transform themselves into messengers of light when actually they are of the darkness.

Also and once again, there are translations that say it like this "they will look upon him whom they pierced and mourn for him" and which makes your cherry picked trin biased translations subject to debate in the first place.

Now I have said all I need to and am therefore not going to go any further with you on this, for it is one of the weakest arguments that trins present to attempt to support their deception with anyhow.

Last edited:
You trins and your red herring belly aching. "Now you claim omniscience? How do you know" "that I am deliberately diverting your attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument"?

I firmly believe everything I am telling you about Zechariah 12:10, for the Father was also pierced in his soul by the death of his Son for our sins and just like Mary was also and I not only believe this but know it to be a fact also.

Read your Bible, for Jesus said that I would know false prophets with their sheep's clothing of phony works by their fruit and if you read the contexts in the synoptics and compare all of what he said in them about a tree being known by its fruit, you will see that Jesus was tying this all together to what is revealed in the false prophets words.

For his words don't line up with the truth of the scriptures and when Jesus said "you will know them by their fruit" he was speaking this only to those who would have the Spirit's discernment to know the difference between the truth of God's word and that which is in error like what you teach and believe.

Read your Bible, it is called Holy Spirit discernment just like what Jesus and Peter and Paul and all of the genuine disciples had.

I am not going to keep arguing with you about this, for it really makes no difference to me that you believe what you do or not, but the fact remains that Jesus would not have been sent by God to be pierced in the first place if our sin didn't need to be atoned for and when God had to let his Son be pierced for our sins, you better believe his soul was also pierced because of it just like it was for Mary also.

By the way, your avatar fits you well, a figure in black holding up a dim light and it reminds me well of what Paul warned of in 2 Corinthians 11, that Satan's ministers transform themselves into messengers of light when actually they are of the darkness.

Also and once again, there are translations that say it like this "they will look upon him whom they pierced and mourn for him" and which makes your cherry picked trin biased translations subject to debate in the first place.

Now I have said all I need to and am therefore not going to go any further with you on this, for it is one of the weakest arguments that trins present to attempt to support their deception with anyhow.
They will look upon Me: Comparing Zechariah 12:10 with Zechariah 12:1 and 12:3 (Thus says the LORD … says the LORD) makes it clear that the Me they look upon is the LORD God - Yahweh - Himself. This is astounding and wonderful evidence that Jesus the piercedOne is God, and that Yahweh is the Triune God.

B. "They shall look on Me whom they have pierced."
1. In Psalm 22 it was predicted, "They pierced My hands and My feet."
2. Their looking is in acceptance and recognition.
a. The veil that has been over their eyes will be lifted.
b. They will recognize the mistake they made.
c. They will receive Jesus as their Messiah.
3. Their looking will bring repentance.
a. "They shall mourn for Him."
b. As one would mourn for a firstborn son that was killed.
C. "The Lord will open to them a fountain for sin and uncleanness."
1. Their recognition, repentance and receiving of Jesus as their Messiah will usher in a new age.

37 And again another Scripture says,They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”

Why are you so utterly blind to your problem here?

God Bless
TWM

Did you forget to mention the manuscript variants?

Did you forget to mention that John's quote of the verse is different than your version of the verse?

Did you forget to mention the translation problem here concerning et asher?

Back