Christ's Sacrifice on the Cross

Jesus called Peter "Cephas".
What did the Holy Spirit say? If 'Cephas' is all you got youre admitting you have nothing. Thats all we hear from you on this. You refuse to let the Holy Spirit speak. The disciples knew exactly what Jesus meant and it wasn't that Peter was anything other than a disciple. The rock is Jesus. Catholics love to push Jesus off of His throne and replace Him with Peter or Mary.

What did the Holy Spirit say? If 'Cephas' is all you got youre admitting you have nothing. Thats all we hear from you on this. You refuse to let the Holy Spirit speak. The disciples knew exactly what Jesus meant and it wasn't that Peter was anything other than a disciple. The rock is Jesus. Catholics love to push Jesus off of His throne and replace Him with Peter or Mary.
You are right. At no time do we see the other apostles going to Peter and saying now what do we do. It is all about the work of the HS were He lead them and stopped them going. Teaching others of what they had witnessed and learnt.

What did Jesus say??
Does that not matter? Or does He need to be corrected by the Protestants?

So just because Jesus called him by an Aramaic name, that suddenly means he's "pope"?What are you smoking?
Often people use a name in the common language of a country. I mean my uncle John was really Giovanni. He would be called John by his mates and Giovanni by his parents who did not speak English. Same man.

Jesus called Peter "Cephas".
Matthew says "Peter" and since the NT is written in Greek, there IS a distinction between petros--chunk of rock--and petra--a massive, rocky cliff--we can clearly see that Jesus is referring to the PETRA of Peter's confession, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. NOT to a mere human like Peter.

Last edited:
What did Jesus call Peter in Matthew 16:18? What is the Greek word used?
John 1:42 And he brought him to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

What did Jesus mean when He said that^?

Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).

So when asked about Matt. 16, Romanists run to John 1.
Romanists are so dishonest.
Dodgin', dodgin', dodgin',
cannot help but dodgin',
always always dodgin', rawhide!

That's nice, but what did Jesus call Peter in Matthew 16:18? What GREEK word did Matthew use? I notice you did not answer that very simple question.

In John 1:42, "which when translated is PETER"... what Greek word is used for "Peter"?

Nope, we don't "dodge" anything.
We simply reject your twisting of it.
twisting ? ...

Mt 16 And so I say to you, you are Peter [Kepha], and upon this rock [Kepha] I will build MY CHURCH, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give YOU THE KEYS to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever YOU bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever YOU loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

No doubt there was twisting going on in the sixteenth century. :sneaky:

Back