The Eucharist is the New Testament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh where you just make out it is only the words of men.
Actually you need to go back and re-read what I said. You made the initial charge that it is we Catholics who "put the words of men over God". I replied that: "You too listen to men, the men who came up with what you believe long ago". That you "derive your theological outlook from men who have instructed you" - like your church denomination and your Pastor. There is no insult there,

Actually you need to go back and re-read what I said. You made the initial charge that it is we Catholics who "put the words of men over God". I replied that: "You too listen to men, the men who came up with what you believe long ago". That you "derive your theological outlook from men who have instructed you" - like your church denomination and your Pastor. There is no insult there,
No I don't need to, I was right.

From the Old Covenant according to Judaism is from where a Jewish site, how do I find it, where do I find it.
There is a link.

How can this be verified that it is accurate. Or is it from an RC source which means it knows nothing. Or is it from the advent thingy. I mean is it a source that can be trusted.
It verifies itself with the same scripture found in the Septuagint used in the Vulgate.
This shows there are two parties to a covenant. Not one.

A Divine Covenant doesn't require anything of men. What can men offer God except the rectitude of the will?

JoeT

Nope, I do not see where I violated the rules. But of course if you have reported me as doing such a thing, I am at the mercy of the administrators.

I rarely report anyone. But I am a stickler for the rules. You should be as well.
The words of Jesus says that the wine is the new covenant, right?
No! It represents the blood of Jesus without which, no one can gain salvation. But it is only 1 part.

there's a reason we read and study the writings by men chosen by Christ to do that. and a reason we check what an earthly minister / teacher tells us scripture says and why we take our bibles to church and bible studies.

There is a link.

It verifies itself with the same scripture found in the Septuagint used in the Vulgate.

A Divine Covenant doesn't require anything of men. What can men offer God except the rectitude of the will?

JoeT
Where did I say it required anything of men but it requires two parties God and ????????Otherwise there would be no need for any of the covenants.

I rarely report anyone. But I am a stickler for the rules. You should be as well.

No! It represents the blood of Jesus without which, no one can gain salvation. But it is only 1 part.
But you are wrong because scripture does say that the cup that is poured out for us is the new covenant in his blood. It doesn't say that it represents his blood.

That is not what you said is the new covenant. You said,

Jesus said that the cup that is poured out for us is the new covenant in his blood. So the new covenant is the wine that is poured out for us, right?
You posted it already.

Luke 22:19-20, "Then he took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood."

It doesn't say a word about spewing mumbo-jumbo words to turn us into cannibals.
Jesus referred to the new covenant in his blood (22:20) He was bringing new significance to an element of this meal and he does so using the terminology of covenant. He talks about a new covenant. He talks about a new covenant that he is inaugurating, a new covenant that he will ratify with the pouring out of his own blood. This is the moment of transition from the OT people of God to the NT Church; there, around that table, the true Church of Jesus Christ was born.

Where is it written that the blood of the covenant must be sacrificed the same day as the covenant is pronounced?

JoeT
no one made that claim that it had to be on the same day.
The Scriptural claim is that it did not happen before the death of Christ.
The claim is that it is the DEATH of Jesus that establishes the new covenant

The Scriptures DO explicitly state (using absolute terms; "must be" and "only") that it is the DEATH of Jesus that establishes the new covenant.

" it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive.""
"the death of the one who made it must be established."
"takes effect ONLY at death,"

No one died at the Last Supper

But you are wrong because scripture does say that the cup that is poured out for us is the new covenant in his blood. It doesn't say that it represents his blood.
The Scriptures DO explicitly state (using absolute terms; "must be" and "only") that it is the DEATH of Jesus that establishes the new covenant.

You just don't get it do you? I'm asking where is it written in your Book the will and the death of the testator must be on the same day? Are not wills sometimes written decades before the testator dies?

What is being implied is that the sacrifice did not occur at the Last Supper, hence there is no New Covenant. The fact is Christ created His last will and testament, a New Covenant, at the Last Supper. He sealed that covenant through His Blood at Calvary. That covenant IS His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity with us day in and day out along with the power of the Church to baptize, teach and forgive sins [CF. Matthew 26:28].

edit per mod

JoeT
the OP and @dingoling. and @Alonzo and @pilgrim are NOT discussing when it was "written"
They are claiming it went into effect at the Last Supper:

When did the New Covenant go into effect?
Hebrews 9:15-17
15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, (diathéké) so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
16 For where a will (diathéké) is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established.
17For a will (diathéké) takes effect ONLY at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive."

They are denying Christ's death is required for the New Covenant go into effect.

Please correct them

To imply as you do below, "it did not happen" is to say that to establish the covenant the blood must be offered up that very minute. Christ said of the Cup, "this IS my Blood". Since the same God breathed the cosmos into existance out of nothing I can't see the difficulty of the wine becoming His Blood as He commanded.
The covenant was established the evening of the Last Supper as the Eucharist. I think we can trust Christ for a few hours before actually sealing the covenant.

At the Last Supper, in absolute terms, Christ said, , the chalice of wine is the New Covenant. [Cf. Matthew 26:28; Luke 22:20]. His Blood is the Covenant.

And, before the testator's death is He not allowed to grace those who would be intended recipients of his legacy? And as I've said before, wills are often made decades before the demise of the testator. Of course there are no legal rights to the legacy until death, and in Christ's case, on that day the entire universe was remade.

JoeT

How does this make the wine just a symbol?

To imply as you do below, "it did not happen" is to say that to establish the covenant the blood must be offered up that very minute. Christ said of the Cup, "this IS my Blood". Since the same God breathed the cosmos into existance out of nothing I can't see the difficulty of the wine becoming His Blood as He commanded.

The covenant was established the evening of the Last Supper as the Eucharist. I think we can trust Christ for a few hours before actually sealing the covenant.

At the Last Supper, in absolute terms, Christ said, , the chalice of wine is the New Covenant. [Cf. Matthew 26:28; Luke 22:20]. His Blood is the Covenant.

And, before the testator's death is He not allowed to grace those who would be intended recipients of his legacy? And as I've said before, wills are often made decades before the demise of the testator. Of course there are no legal rights to the legacy until death, and in Christ's case, on that day the entire universe was remade.

JoeT

None of the above nonsense negates that there is no testament in effect UNTIL the death of the testator. The NC could not and was not in effect until the cross. There was no bloodshed nor a death at the Last Supper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back