Why I Have Difficulty Loving and Forgiving Enemies

All creatures feed. When you eat a hamburger do you bewail the plight of the cow? Not I. I praise God for making cows so tasty. It must suck being you.
Hell, no, I don't bewail the plight of cows!

I LOVE eating them
Extra, extra rare for me...

Did not God create cows FOR US TO EAT?

What I bewail, stiggy, is a god, supposedly in our corner, who unnecessarily makes creatures to eat us

You worry about getting eaten by animals? Like I said, it must suck being you.
Nope, I don't worry about being eaten by animals

I do, however, worry about human beings who are soo blinded by the god delusion that, when by the will of God, being eaten by animals is regarded as morally acceptable or, worse yet, morally preferable

You need a new Bible. Someone slipped you a fake one.
Am I saved despite NOT genuinely repenting of my so-called sin and removing ultimate trust from myself to Christ?

If the answer is NO
{and we both know it is}
then we most certainly ARE punished for the failure to come to Him - i.e. praise Him

Nope, I don't worry about being eaten by animals

I do, however, worry about human beings who are soo blinded by the god delusion that, when by the will of God, being eaten by animals is regarded as morally acceptable or, worse yet, morally preferable

You need a good dose of Alfred E. Newman.

Do you toss and turn on your bed at night, fretting, "I just can't sleep, thinking as I am about guys like stiggy thinking that the one in a million guy who gets eaten by sharks is OK with God."

Again, it must really suck being you.

Am I saved despite NOT genuinely repenting of my so-called sin

If the answer is NO.........

It is. Your decision.

then we most certainly ARE punished for the failure to come to Him - i.e. praise Him

So you think that a drowning man who stubbornly refuses to take the outstretched hand of a lifeguard is PUNISHED by drowning?

We've done this song and dance too many times here. Do you really want us both to repeat all our talking points AGAIN?

From my perspective, it's Christians who are opposing themselves and if I didn't have love for them I wouldn't bother trying to open their eyes
Son of hell is a tough job man, must be exhausting loving all the christian people.

It's like you have chosen us for salvation and enlightenment, I'm stoked.

It makes sense because you have stupendous morality, you're like an alternative god or something, what could I have been thinking Elizabeth!

It's not that we view others as our enemies.

It's that they view us as their enemies, and treat us as such.

But Steve, Jesus told us to love OUR enemies. Just because some atheist may consider me his enemy, that hardly means I should consider him mine.

Hey, everyone. I come to you fresh off a four or five day much deserved (probably) suspension. I have no way of knowing the specific cause, but it’s most likely due to some rudeness on my part. I may have the record for the most suspensions, and I’m far from being proud of that, but I thought I’d make a post about the impact of my Christiian beliefs upon the nature of my polemical posts, as well as the reverse.

I am well aware that I am strongly encouraged to love my enemies. Now in my past BC days I have known several people whom I would consider my enemy, but it’s been years since that has been the case. Of the many people I now know (in the “real world'') and with whom I come in constant contact, I can truly think of no one whom I need to forgive.The closest I come to thinking of a possible enemy would be my polemical sparring partners here at CARM. So I have to ask myself: IF I stretch the definition of “enemy” and IF Treeplanter, Pixie, 5wize, et al are my enemies, do I hate them? Now it seems to me that true hate would manifest itself in a desire for vengeance, or at least a desire for something detrimental to occur upon these alleged enemies. But I can swear to y’all that that is not the case. Nothing would delight me more than to hear about the spiritual conversion of one of these guys.

So how do my rude barbs toward these wise guys who blast and sometimes even blaspheme my Lord facilitate a conversion? They don’t. But do they impede conversions? If for example Treeplanter pulls one of his patented and tiresome comments out of his very limited rhetorical quiver accusing my beloved Lord and Savior of being an “immoral thug,” and I respond by calling him a shallow and petulant jerk, is that an expression of hate on my part? Before responding, should I think to myself, “Maybe if I call him a jerk, it will further harden his heart, so let me be nice to him. Let him see me rolling over.” To think he could be so easily swayed about something of such existential importance would manifest an even lower opinion of him than I currently have.

When Jesus called the Pharisees a “brood of vipers” and when He overturned the moneychanger’s tables was He being unchristian?

Besides the facial ones, do there also exist two rhetorical cheeks, one of which should be turned if the other is attacked? “Oh, so you just called me a gullible fool? Don’t forget, I’m also a shallow idiot.”

Obviously I cannot myself be so pharisaical as to claim that I LOVE Treeplanter, but I do pray for him daily, so I can’t think of myself as hating him, can I? My prayers FEEL sincere at least. I think I love him, albeit ever so minimally.

It’s weird, but when my thoughts have gone misleading, I sometimes wish that just like in my younger days (BC), someone would do me wrong, so that I could at least test myself to determine if I have it in me to forgive. But dang it, I just don’t HAVE any enemies.
"Forgiveness" is a simple act of the will, and unrelated to "Feelings".

Just like "Love" for Jesus is simply the decision to DO WHAT HE WANTS you to do - regardless of how you happen to feel about it. He's not looking for "Warm Bubbly" - He's looking for OBEDIENCE. I am, after all, His Bond-Slave, purchased with a price - not His "buddy".

I have forgiven plenty of folks - by "Tearing up the I.O.U." that I hold against them, and purposely relating to them as though I didn't STILL have "Feelings" (that I'd like to get 'em in a small room with a hammer in my hand) about what they'd done to me (or to people valuable to me).

But Steve, Jesus told us to love OUR enemies. Just because some atheist may consider me his enemy, that hardly means I should consider him mine.
Well, if that's what you need, carry on.

If someone considers me their enemy, they're my enemy.

There are indeed plenty of people who don't like me that I have no problem with. Yet they have a serious problem with me.

This is enough for me to view them as enemies and think that I should be praying for them.

Well, if that's what you need, carry on.

If someone considers me their enemy, they're my enemy.

There are indeed plenty of people who don't like me that I have no problem with. Yet they have a serious problem with me.

This is enough for me to view them as enemies and think that I should be praying for them.
You imagine enemies where there are none, Steve

I despise what you believe
I don't despise you

So you think that a drowning man who stubbornly refuses to take the outstretched hand of a lifeguard is PUNISHED by drowning?
If you wanna make this an accurate analogy then you need to include the fact that it was the lifeguard who threw the man into the water in the 1st place

Why do you constantly leave that part out?

Since you ALWAYS find fault with my account, why don't you, in your own words, tell me what salvation entails?

If you wanna make this an accurate analogy then you need to include the fact that it was the lifeguard who threw the man into the water in the 1st place

Awwww, poor baby. If you feel like you've been thrown into a horrible world, have you considered a therapist? Prozac? Are you suicidal?

Since you ALWAYS find fault with my account, why don't you, in your own words, tell me what salvation entails?

Get down on your knees and take it up with Jesus Christ. Stay down there until you know what "salvation entails." I can't save you, Treeplanter.

Awwww, poor baby. If you feel like you've been thrown into a horrible world, have you considered a therapist? Prozac? Are you suicidal?
To the contrary, I love life, stiggy

None of that "please come Lord, Jesus" crap for me!

Get down on your knees and take it up with Jesus Christ. Stay down there until you know what "salvation entails." I can't save you, Treeplanter.
What a cowardly response

Come on, hotshot - tell me what salvation entails
You've no problem criticizing my account
Grow a pair and share your own!

Or is it that you are afraid to do so, knowing full well that I can and will demonstrate the conscious, purposeful, and needless harm inherent in the plan?

I don't consider you my enemy

When you despise whom I believe, you make me your enemy
Here, again, you speak out of both sides of your mouth
Contradicting yourself as always

Which is it, Steve?

You don't consider me your enemy {knowing how I feel about YHVH}
or
you do consider me your enemy {knowing how I feel about YHVH}?????

Here, again, you speak out of both sides of your mouth
Contradicting yourself as always

Which is it, Steve?

You don't consider me your enemy {knowing how I feel about YHVH}
or
you do consider me your enemy {knowing how I feel about YHVH}?????
Pity you never actually learned to read or understand.

14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 Your light must shine before people in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 5)

Can't think of anything to praise Hitler for. You're on your own with that one.
Too bad you don't have kids. No, on second thought, good thing you don't.
Pity you never actually learned to read or understand.

Back