Roman Catholic Thoughts On Spiritual Delusion . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
dingoling. said:
I was raised as a Catholic but my parents stopped going when I was 16. At college a Christian got be going back to church but it was a Baptist church not a Catholic church; that was in 1976. He taught me how to read, study, memorize and meditate on Scripture. I maintain those habits since then and have read through the entire Bible over 46 times and have memorized over 3000 verses.

What clinched it for me was when I read through the CCC around 15 years ago. I will never leave the Catholic church again.
I was taught that a person is saved by faith alone and not by works and that we have been imputed with the righteousness of Christ.
pay attention to what is in bold in my post. my question was regarding what the baptist taught about how to read and study scripture.

dingoling. said:
You are giving us your personal interpretation of scripture. Your personal interpretation of scripture isn't scripture.
you believe and post the rcc's personal interpretation of scripture - actually it's a perversion of scripture. It doesn't teach the gospel, but is contrary to the gospel.

It teaches there are others to pray to and to confess sin to men instead of God (thru Christ), Christ needs your help to 'save' you and Mary is also a way to God and salvation, to have idols, to re- sacrifice Him daily, not to study His word (to show yourself approved), but to study the words of men instead, etc. It's a long list of false teachings.

Why? because the interpretation didn't come from the rcc? Scripture doesn't require a scholar to understand it.
So you want us to listen to your own personal interpretation of scripture and not scripture itself. That sounds like the very thing you accuse us of doing. Why is that?

pay attention to what is in bold in my post. my question was regarding what the baptist taught about how to read and study scripture.
What about it? You open the Bible and read. You open the Bible and study it. You open the Bible and memorize it. It is not that complicated you know.

you believe and post the rcc's personal interpretation of scripture - actually it's a perversion of scripture. It doesn't teach the gospel, but is contrary to the gospel.

It teaches there are others to pray to and to confess sin to men instead of God (thru Christ), Christ needs your help to 'save' you and Mary is also a way to God and salvation, to have idols, to re- sacrifice Him daily, not to study His word (to show yourself approved), but to study the words of men instead, etc. It's a long list of false teachings.
These are interpretations of scripture and are a "perversion" of scripture:

- a person is saved by faith alone and not by works
- we have been imputed with the righteousness of Christ

Why should we listen to your own personal interpretation of scripture?

What are you talking about, the nCCs accuse us all the time here of listening to what the church says and not what scripture says.

And rc's do listen to what the rcc says and teaches and endorses. What the rcc teaches, is parroted by rc's on here. If one doesn't believe what the rcc teaches, why attend a rcc? and why parrot what the rcc says about Scripture. As to the other post I replied to, I didn't accuse you of anything.

I think the Mormons are the first cousins the nCCs and not the Catholic church.
Of course you do....but they have far more in common with YOUR church than with non-RCCers on here! I know--I debated Mormons for nearly 9 years on that board! Also, Matt Slick has a chart that shows the similarity between your church and theirs. And by the way--Mormons are not Protestants--they are a cult masquerading as a Christian church. But that is for that board, not this one.

There is a difference between faith and faith alone. Scripture clearly teaches that faith without works is dead.

But nowhere does it say those works help to save us. In fact, quite the opposite. True faith results in good works. But they do not save us: "He saved us, NOT on account of works which we have done IN RIGHTEOUSNESS, but on account of His mercy..." (Titus 3)

What are works done in righteousness?
James 2:22, "You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works."

Yes, a true faith DOES--the works done in righteousness vindicate/prove our faith is real and not just an intellectual assent.
So why do the nCCs keep insisting that we are justified by faith alone and not by works when scripture clearly indicates otherwise?
No, the careful reading of Scripture demonstrates the EXACT OPPOSITE. Good works are the result of being saved, not the causes. But they vindicate our faith to those around us, who cannot read our hearts and minds as God can.

Another slow day at work I guess.

Jesus saves or Jesus is salvation. Since Jesus is salvation, Who came to the home of Zaccheus that day?
Your original post dingoling:
dingoling. said:
Jesus saves. Yes Jesus saves. But there is no mention of faith in that passage.

Jesus means "God who is salvation. Jesus-salvation-- was coming to Zacchaeus's house. Zacchaeus was very short. He climbed a tree to see Jesus. Jesus saw his faith and called him down and said "salvation was coming to his house. Jesus was and is that salvation.

Jesus means "God who is salvation. Jesus-salvation-- was coming to Zacchaeus's house. Zacchaeus was very short. He climbed a tree to see Jesus. Jesus saw his faith and called him down and said "salvation was coming to his house. Jesus was and is that salvation.
What is your point. Faith is not mentioned in this passage, so did his faith alone save him?

What is your point. Faith is not mentioned in this passage, so did his faith alone save him?
Sigh. OG's point is that Jesus Himself us our salvation--not our works.

The word "faith" may not be there--but BY WHAT was Zaccheus a changed man? By what did he vow to give back the money he took unjustly as a tax collector?
What--or Who--enabled him to WANT to do that?

Sigh. OG's point is that Jesus Himself us our salvation--not our works.

The word "faith" may not be there--but BY WHAT was Zaccheus a changed man? By what did he vow to give back the money he took unjustly as a tax collector?
What--or Who--enabled him to WANT to do that?
His faith wasn't alone. You can keep appealing to your own personal interpretation of scripture all you want, but interpretation will never settle the issue if scripture alone is indeed the final/sole authority. We have the clear words of scripture that tell us faith without works is dead.

His faith wasn't alone.

Never said it was--but which comes first--faith or works? Try rereading Hebrews 11 and tell us BY WHAT all the mighty believers listed did their great works
You can keep appealing to your own personal interpretation of scripture all you want,

So do you--or is it your pope's interpretation?
but interpretation will never settle the issue if scripture alone is indeed the final/sole authority.

Yes, it is. There is no higher authority than the word of God. God created the universe by His word!
We have the clear words of scripture that tell us faith without works is dead.
Yes, we do, and such a dead faith saves no one. A true and living faith will always express itself in acts of love and obedience. But those works do not save; they vindicate our faith, prove it for the world to see!

What did Jesus ACTUALLY say saved the woman in Luke 7:50? Care to refresh your memory?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back