What is the Gospel of Jesus Christ?

and it does not state anywhere the ruler was not willing to obey the ten commandments
Yes, he was willing to not directly kill anybody. He avoided literal adultery, and so forth, but if you understand Jesus' expansion of the 10 commandments to inward thoughts, then you understand that the rich young ruler had not kept them from his youth
Where do we find the ruler was not willing to obey the commandments?
When he walked away sorrowful. When Jesus tells you to do something, it is a commandment.

Mormon's teach a "different" gospel of works salvation. The Bible teaches that we are saved by grace through faith, not works (Ephesians 2:8,9) yet Mormons teach we are saved by grace after all WE can DO. (2 Nephi 25:23)

I've been in multiple discussions with SDA's over the years on various Christian forum sites and they teach a different gospel of "salvation by grace plus law, faith plus works." For them it's salvation by faith + obeying the 10 commandments (with a heavy emphasis on the 4th commandment).

Jude is exhorting believers to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints (vs. 3) because certain ungodly men who have crept in unnoticed. Jude further describes these ungodly men as ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit (vs. 19) In CONTRAST to those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and PRESERVED in Jesus Christ (vs. 1).

Psalm 37:28 - For the Lord loves justice, And does not forsake His saints; They are PRESERVED FOREVER, But the descendants of the wicked shall be cut off.

Okay, I'm confused. Are you Mormon or not?

Addressing the OP
Reading some of the post, not all... how did the Gospel go to Faith and works? no matter, THE GOOD NEWS/GOSPEL is ETERNAL LIFE is not accomplished by works before Salvation, we work because we're saved. the apostle Paul and the apostle James are speaking of salvation before one is saved, (NO WORKS CAN GET ONE RIGHT WITH GOD). we work because we're Saved, hence FAITH NOW without works is dead.

one need to understand what the apostles was speaking on before and after salvation in Christ Jesus

:ninja: .

Faulty human logic that results in salvation by works. Prior to my conversion, I was raised in the Roman Catholic church, so none of your arguments are anything new or enlightening. Catholicism also teaches works salvation. Difference in style, but same in substance - "works based false gospel."
How do you know your pastor teaches the truth when he/she interprets scripture fallibly?

Thanks

Yes, he was willing to not directly kill anybody. He avoided literal adultery, and so forth, but if you understand Jesus' expansion of the 10 commandments to inward thoughts, then you understand that the rich young ruler had not kept them from his youth

When he walked away sorrowful. When Jesus tells you to do something, it is a commandment.

Morning, Bocco:

I'm not understanding how that annuls what Jesus testified to?

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself

Again--how does that differ from other testimonies?

1 John 2:3-4---King James Version
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1 Corinthians 7:19---King James Version
19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Addressing the OP
Reading some of the post, not all... how did the Gospel go to Faith and works? no matter, THE GOOD NEWS/GOSPEL is ETERNAL LIFE is not accomplished by works before Salvation,

Eternal Life isn't accomplished by works before or after salvation.

It's accomplished by God's grace--which goes to them which obey Him:

Hebrews 5:9---King James Version
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

we work because we're saved.

I don't disagree with the fact the saved bring forth fruits.

The scriptures testify God extends His grace unto life--to them which walk in His light:

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

the apostle Paul and the apostle James are speaking of salvation before one is saved, (NO WORKS CAN GET ONE RIGHT WITH GOD). we work because we're Saved, hence FAITH NOW without works is dead.

one need to understand what the apostles was speaking on before and after salvation in Christ Jesus

The testimony of the apostle here is that a faith without works is dead:

James 2:19-26--King James Version
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

So--are you claiming one is saved through dead faith--as the faith alone theology does?

Where do we find any before or after clauses there?

How do you know your pastor teaches the truth when he/she interprets scripture fallibly?

Thanks

That's a legit question, but I suspect the answer is--because the preacher told him so.

Anyone who preaches a theology where one obtains eternal life, excluding all acts of obedience to Jesus Christ--isn't plugged into the Biblical NT witness, IMO. The faith alone theology is one obtains eternal life through a faith without works--something the Biblical text labels a faith which is dead.

For the LDS salvation is through faith (their version of faith) AND WORKS, which nullifies grace. (Romans 11:6)

LOL! So--you are claiming God extends His grace unto eternal life through a faith without works?

IOW--what the Biblical text labels as a faith which is dead--you are claiming is a faith one is saved through?

For genuine believers, salvation is by grace through faith, not works. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

No one is claiming otherwise. That does not mean that God extends His grace through a dead faith.

So--why are all men judged according to their works--and that for life or damnation?

John 5:28-29---King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Or--is that just another example of "works salvationist"?

The LDS teach, for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all WE can DO (2 Nephi 25:23) In other words, do all you can or else the Lord will not be able to save you,

Could you explain for us how that differs from the Lord's testimony?

Matthew 10:22---King James Version
22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

which is salvation by works and not by faith in Christ. We are saved FOR good works and NOT BY good works.

No one has claimed one is saved by works. It's God's grace which saves--and that grace goes to them which obey God, and walk in His light:

1 John 1:7---King James Version
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

More eisegesis that results in a "works based" false gospel. (2 Corinthians 4:3,4)

All scriptures which defy faith alone theology seem to fall into that category:

John 14:15--King James Version
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

I'm not understanding how that annuls what Jesus testified to?
Jesus told the rich young ruler to keep the commandments and then quoted "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

And the rich young ruler said "All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?"

But if you understand Jesus' sermon on the mount, then the rich young ruler was deceived. He has only kept the outward acts, not the inward heart acts of anger of his brother, lusting after a woman and so forth.

I think rather than argue with the young ruler about the finer details about those commandments, Jesus figured it was easier to tell him to do something He knew the young ruler would not want to do.

Joh 2:24 But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, 25 and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man.

The same way we get to obey anything we choose to obey.

God Redeemed all men from the Fall--as a free gift.
we agree God redeemed "ALL" men from the fall, but the Free Gift?

Romans 10:11 "For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." Romans 10:12 "For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him." Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:14 "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" (BINGO, YOU MIGHT NEED TO READ THAT AGAIN) Romans 10:15 "And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!" Romans 10:16 "But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?" Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." Romans 10:18 "But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." Romans 10:19 "But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you." Romans 10:20 "But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me." Romans 10:21 "But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people."

now, God's desire is that "ALL" men be saved.... see 1 Tim 2:4.

:ninja:

Back