Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

1Thess521

interesting idea to call the supernatural darkness on Friday, night.
i didn't
i was referring to when the sun set
the context came from post #111 which stated

"there was the darkness on Friday when the sun went down
there was the darkness on Saturday when the sun went down
there was the darkness on Sunday before the sun came up..

It is common then as it is today to call the darkness "night"

Three different days of the week had a period of darkness commonly referred to as "night""

Sethproton

i didn't
i was referring to when the sun set
the context came from post #111 which stated

"there was the darkness on Friday when the sun went down
there was the darkness on Saturday when the sun went down
there was the darkness on Sunday before the sun came up..

It is common then as it is today to call the darkness "night"

Three different days of the week had a period of darkness commonly referred to as "night""
ok. yes, I misread your post. Sorry.
Yes, in that sense, the Roman approach, there was darkness on all three days, though we have assumed that Jesus was referring to the Jewish way of limiting a day which is from sunset to sunset.
I just did an OT scan of verses with "days" and "nights"
It looks like it could be that it is a way to refer to what we would call three days. In His case, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, without requiring a literal fulfillment.

Last edited:

Gary Mac

ok. yes, I misread your post. Sorry.
Yes, in that sense, the Roman approach, there was darkness on all three days, though we have assumed that Jesus was referring to the Jewish way of limiting a day which is from sunset to sunset.
I just did an OT scan of verses with "days" and "nights"
It looks like it could be that it is a way to refer to what we would call three days. In His case, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, without requiring a literal fulfillment.
In spiritual terms, as the Bible is, darkness is without knowledge. That is why we are to walk as He walks in His same light.

These technical difficulties you guys are pursuing can be solved in a moments time oi one will receive His light and walk in it as He walks in it. Which is Spirit BTW. Don't know what that Spirit is do you?

Sethproton

In spiritual terms, as the Bible is, darkness is without knowledge. That is why we are to walk as He walks in His same light.

These technical difficulties you guys are pursuing can be solved in a moments time oi one will receive His light and walk in it as He walks in it. Which is Spirit BTW. Don't know what that Spirit is do you?
When you make a snarky comment, intended to demean another poster, then yes I agree with you, I do not know what THAT spirit is.

Gary Mac

When you make a snarky comment, intended to demean another poster,
If the truth puts you under conviction that you consider demeaning, then I can understand your angry response. Jesus was very good at making people angry with the truth. Maybe his way rubbed off one me to get those same responses that sent him to a cross? After all he was my brother, we have the same Father. And what a wonderful state to be in.

May I ask why His ways to be like Him and walk in it as He walks in it is so demeaning for you that you would accuse me of ? Those darn logs in your own eyes hurt don't they?
then yes I agree with you, I do not know what THAT spirit is.
Thanks for being honest, I agree there is One that you do not know. And I suppose you will consider that a snarky remark?

Sethproton

If the truth puts you under conviction that you consider demeaning, then I can understand your angry response. Jesus was very good at making people angry with the truth. Maybe his way rubbed off one me to get those same responses that sent him to a cross? After all he was my brother, we have the same Father. And what a wonderful state to be in.

May I ask why His ways to be like Him and walk in it as He walks in it is so demeaning for you that you would accuse me of ? Those darn logs in your own eyes hurt don't they?

Thanks for being honest, I agree there is One that you do not know. And I suppose you will consider that a snarky remark?
Pretending ignorance looks bad on a person claiming to be Christian

kamaeq

I'm not aware of Him saying that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or night time was to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could be.

I thought calendar days ended at sunset and not at midnight. But at any rate, that is an issue for a different topic.
People tend not to write or say common knowledge down to explain that it is common knowledge.

I was referencing why the current (Roman derived, IIRC) method of counting the end of the day as midnight instead of dawn or sunset. I've had real world experience that shows both of those are much more natural places to divide days. Yes, there would be some slippage throughout a year, but even adjusting for that a sunset or sunrise based day ending (even if it only matched at the equinoxes) makes a lot more sense to lower tech living.

kamaeq

Are you speaking about Gen 1 where it says evening and morning the first day?
No, slightly off topic speculation on why the middle of the night day ending. The Genesis 1 thing is where the Jews get a day being Sunset to Sunset, which IMO is more natural, as would be Sunrise to Sunrise. Sure, a fixed time would have had to have been picked to it only worked at equinoxes, but working outside all that really matters is the light: "A man works from sun to sun,...". When that light is gone, the work is over.

Yes, now we have good artificial light, but the midnight end of day is Roman (IIRC) and for centuries people did not have good artificial light, or at least it cost a lot: "The game is not worth the (cost of the) candle...".

Gary Mac

Pretending ignorance looks bad on a person claiming to be Christian
So true ! So many here claim they are of Christ yet flat out deny God to be His anointed as Jesus was His anointed and like Him as Jesus was like Him.

You can see these openly express their ignorance for what it is to be of Christ and Jesus was fo Christ, anointed of God, God in you and you in Him as one, perfect as He is perfect. And they flat out deny that ignorance in favor of their own knowledge for their ways instead.